10 Tips for a Successful Photoshoot
Photos are one of the best ways you can communicate who you are to the public. In the age of mobile devices and filters, it is easy to overlook the importance of photography. Professional photoshoots, however, help tell a cohesive story, and when done correctly, they highlight an organization’s personality. These tips will ensure your shoot goes smoothly. Like anything else, the critical part of any photoshoot is planning ahead.
- Find Inspiration - Consider what you want from a photoshoot. Look at different photos, create a mood board, consider tone. Think about the image you want to project (playful, professional, etc.)
- Create a Shot List - Choose the poses and scenarios for your shoot.
- Choose a Wardrobe - Decide on a wardrobe style ahead of time. (It is always a good idea to have more than one outfit.)
- Gather Props - Make sure that any props or objects used are clean and presentable before the photoshoot.
- Make a Packlist - Make sure that you know what you need to bring with you to the photoshoot. Nothing puts a damper on shoot faster than pausing because you forgot something.
- Choose Your Lighting - Make sure that you have the space and lighting that creates the tone you want.
- Communicate with Others - Coordinate with everyone involved and consider their preferences.
- Be Candid - Take shots that are candid, not cute. Be authentic.
- Be Open - Planning is essential, but be willing to go off script if a creative moment presents itself.
- Have Fun - Photoshoots can be stressful for the people taking the pictures and those having their photos taken. Find ways to create a fun atmosphere.
A Few Pictures from Our Photoshoots
These 10 tips for a successful photoshoot will help every photographer, from the novice to the expert. This blog is just the beginning of your education in photography. For greater insight and advice, watch the video where Amy, the Creative Director at myheartcreative, shares her years of Oklahoma commercial photoshoot experience and unpacks these tips in detail.
Photographs will help you stand out from the crowd, and with preparation, they do not have to be daunting. You can practice with a small shot list and grow. If you are not confident in your ability to complete a shoot on your own, you can always find a professional. Hiring an experienced Oklahoma photographer is a wise investment. So, are you ready to show the world your story? Contact us.
Posted on Thu, October 25, 2018
by April Paris filed under